- Officially » جمهورية السودان (Arabic)
- Republic of Sudan
- Capital » Khartoum
- Population » 39.5 million
- Languages » Arabic, English (official)
- Religion » Islam
- Life expectancy » 63 years (men), 66 years (women)
- Currency » Sudanese pound
- Sudan is bordered by Egypt to the north, Libya to the northwest, Chad to the west, the Central African Republic to the southwest, South Sudan to the south, Ethiopia to the southeast, Eritrea to the east, and the Red Sea to the northeast.
- One access to and from Sudan (and Africa) is through Saudi Arabia via a Red Sea ferry.
- A Carnet de Passage is required for Sudan.
- Roadblocks are common. Have your identity and vehicle documents readily available.
Safety and Security
- There is a heightened risk of attacks in the region.
- Armed groups have carried out attacks on foreign workers, including oil field workers.
- Sudan has declared a state of emergency in the states bordering South Sudan.
Government Travel Advice for Sudan
This page was last updated on 2021.06.04 by Robert Vinet