- Officially » The Federal Republic of Somalia
- Capital » Mogadishu
- Population » 14.74 million
- Languages » Somali, Arabic, English, French, Italian
- Religion » Islam
- Life expectancy » 55 years (men), 58 years (women)
- Currency » Somali shilling (SOS)
- 1 Somali Shilling (SOS) = 100 Centesimi
- Electricity » 220 volts, 2-pole plugs
- Plugs type C, E, F (Source)
- Area » 637,657 sq km (246,201 sq miles)
- Located in the Horn of Africa
- Bordered by Ethiopia to the west, Djibouti to the northwest, the Gulf of Aden to the north, the Guardafui Channel and Indian Ocean to the east, and Kenya to the southwest.
- Somalia has banned plastic bags
- Somaliland is officially part of Somalia, and officially the Republic of Somaliland, is a self-declared state, internationally considered to be an autonomous region of Somalia.
- Somaliland has it’s own page on AT
Safety and Security
- Crisis Watch Map
- “Somalia’s long-running political crisis has entered a new, dangerous phase.” – Crisis Group, April 2021
- The security situation in Somalia is highly volatile and there is an ongoing very high threat of terrorist attack. (2019)
- Somalia is considered one of the most dangerous destinations for travellers. (2019)
- Many governments strongly recommended leaving Somalia.
- Likewise, warnings are given against shipping, cruises, and yacht trips in waters off Somalia.
- A large percentage of the worlds refugees come come Somalia, forcibly displaced due to the internal conflict and recurring and severe drought. Most have settled in Kenya, Ethiopia, or Yemen.
- Driving » Right side
Government Travel Advice
Last Updated on December 17, 2018