State of Eritrea
- Capital » Asmara
- Population » 5.6 million
- Languages » Tigrinya, Tigre, Arabic, English
- Religions » Islam, Christianity
- Life expectancy » 63 years (men), 67 years (women)
- Currency » Nakfa
- Area » 117,400 sq km (45,300 sq miles)
- Eritrea is a northeast African country on the Red Sea coast. Bordered by Sudan, Ethiopia, and Djibouti
- All land borders with Sudan, Ethiopia and Djibouti are closed.
- Eritrea gained its independence in 1993.
- Eritrea has banned plastic bags
Security and Safety
- In February 2023 Eritrea voted against the UN resolution calling for an end to the war in Ukraine and calling on Russia’s immediate withdrawal from Ukraine.
- Eritrea occupies a strategically important area in the Horn of Africa.
- Eritrea is a one-party state and a militarized society
Government Travel Advice
This page was updated April 3, 2023