Officially: Republic of South Sudan
- Population: 7.5-10 million
- Languages: English, Arabic (both official), Juba Arabic, Dinka
- Major religions: Traditional religions, Christianity
- Life expectancy: 56 years (men), 58 years (women)
- Currency: Sudanese pound (SDG)
- 1 South Sudanese Pound (SSP) = 100 Piast
- Electricity: 220-240 volts / 50 hertz; two-pin plug
- The world’s youngest country after separating from Sudan
- South Sudan saw a large increase in the number of people fleeing in 2017. During the year the number of refugees increased from 1.4 million to 2.4 million people. Nearly half of South Sudan’s refugees fled to Uganda.
- Area: 619,745 sq km (239,285 sq miles)
News about South Sudan
Safety & Security
- Most governments advise against all travel to South Sudan (2019).
Current Government Advice
This page was last updated on 2021.03.18 by Robert Vinet