- Officially » République du Tchad (French)
- جمهورية تشاد (Arabic)
- Republic of Chad (English)
- Capital: N’Djamena
- Population: 11.8 million
- Major languages: French, Arabic
- Major religions: Islam, Christianity
- Life expectancy: 49 years (men), 52 years (women)
- Currency: Communauté Financière Africaine (BCEAO), Franc (XOF – CFA)
- Area: 1.28 million sq km (495,800 sq miles) – 21st largest country in the world.
- Chad is a landlocked country in north Central Africa.
- Bordered by Libya to the north, Sudan to the east, the Central African Republic to the south, Cameroon to the south-west, Nigeria to the southwest (at Lake Chad), and Niger to the west.
- The Gallup 2019 Global Emotions Report ranked Chat as the most negative country
- Stress is high and over 70% of Chadians struggled to afford food
- Very few tourists visit Chad. Access for overlanders is only feasible from Cameroon.
- Sahara Overland
- Lonely Planet
Safety and Security
- Since 2015, Chad has been the target of repeated attacks by armed groups conducting an insurgency in the Lake Chad Basin (Cameroon, Chad, Niger, Nigeria), which have caused significant internal and cross-border population displacements.
- International Crisis Group