République du Niger
- Republic of Niger (English)
- Capital City » Niamey
- Major Language » French
- Population » 25 million (est 2023)
- Currency » 1 CFA Franc (West XOF) = 100 Centimes
- Electricity » 220 Volt / 50 Hertz AC
- 1,267,000 km2 (489,000 sq mi)
- Location » A landlocked country in West Africa
- Niger is one of the poorest countries in the world (UN, 2023)
- Road from Ekok, Nigeria to Memfe, Cameroon is one of the most notorious for trapping travellers in deep muddy ruts for weeks or months at a time and having the reputation for being the worst road in Africa. (Various reports and written up in Dangerous Roads)
Safety & Security
- A military coup took place in Niger on July 26, 2023
- As of August 2023, there have been eight coup in Western and Central Africa in the past 3 years (Globe and Mail)
- In 2019 Niger is considered one of the most dangerous countries for travellers
- International governments warn against any and all travel to Niger.
- Travel outside the Capital of Niamey should only be undertaken with the official escorts.
Government Travel Advice
As of July 2023, many — perhaps most — countries advise their citizens against any and all travel to or in the whole country of Niger due to terrorist activity and political instability in Niger with military authorities attempting to take control of the country, France and other European nations have announced they are airlifting their citizens. All commercial flights arriving or departing Niger have been cancel and the situation remains volatile (August 2023).
This page was updated August 30, 2023