- Officially » Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Often shortened as DRC and DR Congo.
- Not to be confused with the neighbouring Republic of the Congo.
- Capital » Kinshasa
- Population » 81.5 million
- Major languages » French, Lingala, Kiswahili, Kikongo, Tshiluba
- Major religions » Christianity, Islam
- Life expectancy » 58 years (men), 61 years (women)
- Currency » Congolese franc (CDF)
- Kinshasa, formerly Léopoldville, is the capital and the largest city of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Kinshasa has a population of 15 million as of 2021
- Area » 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
- Second largest country in Africa
- A vast country with immense resources and, until recently, has been at the centre of conflict and war, with widespread civilian suffering the result.
Safety and Security
- Congo is considered one of the worlds most dangerous destinations for travellers. (2019)
- The DR Congo has experienced armed insurrections for two decades. UN Peacekeepers are present. In 2018 a rash of violence broke out in Africa’s oldest National Park, Virunga National Park. The UNESCO heritage site has incredible variety of landscape, an exceptional collection of biodiversity, including critically endangered mountain gorillas. Also, the 2018 outbreak of the Ebola virus has been called the worst in the country’s history.
This page was last updated on 2021.03.18 by Robert Vinet