- Officially » République du Congo (French)
- Republic of the Congo (English)
- Capital » Brazzaville
Not to be confused with the neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
- Population » ~ 5 million
- Languages » French (Official), indigenous African languages
- Religions » Christianity, indigenous African beliefs
- Life expectancy » 63 years (men), 66 years (women)
- Currency » CFA (Communaute Financiere Africaine) franc
- Country Calling Code » +242
- Area » 342,000 sq km (132,047 sq miles)
- Located on the western coast of Central Africa
- Congo is bordered by Gabon to the east; Cameroon to the northwest, Central African Republic to the northeast; the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the southeast, the Angolan exclave of Cabinda to the south; and the Atlantic Ocean to the southwest.
- North-East: two thirds of the country are covered by equatorial forest, savanna in the south, coastal plains, fertile valleys, forested flood plains.
- Tropical. (climate is equatorial with two reversed seasons–half of the country lies above, half below the Equator).
- Climate info for Pointe-Noire (pop. ~ 450k) » Weather and Climate
Government Travel Advice
This page was last updated on 2021.05.05 by Robert Vinet