- Officially » Republic of Austria
- Capital » Vienna
- Vienna is also the largest city
- GMT +1
- Population » 8.7 million
- Language » German
- Religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 80 years (men), 84 years (women)
- Membership » European Union member since 1 January 1995
- Currency » Euro
- Area » 83,871 sq km (32,383 sq miles)
- Located in the central Europe
- Bordered by 8 countries » Germany to the northwest, the Czech Republic to the north, Slovakia to the northeast, Hungary to the east, Slovenia and Italy to the south, and Switzerland, and Liechtenstein to the west.
- Austria signed the Schengen agreement on 28 April 1995
- Saint Anton am Arlberg, a ski resort, is also a good base for other adventures. (YouTube)
- Graz was designated the cultural capital of Europe in 2003.
- The scenic old town, with its various examples of traditional architecture, was designated a UNESCO world cultural heritage site in 1999, whilst the forest-clad Schlossberg hill – replete with its iconic clock tower – is also well worth visiting for brilliant views over the city.
- Austria.info » Austrian National Tourist Office
- Tourism in Austria (Wikipedia)
- Located along the east and west Danubian trade route
- Austria has free OTA traffic services usable by GPS devices equipped with proper receivers. (Garmin)
- Ranked 22nd overall in the World Best Countries, 2021 (US News & World Report)
- 21st in 2021
- 18th Overall in 2020
- 23rd for Adventure in 2021
- One of the richest countries in the world by per capita GDP terms
Safety & Security
- Austria is one of the 10 safest places to visit (2018).
Government Travel Advisories
This page was updated March 25, 2023