- Capital » Bern
- Population » 8.7 million (2020)
- Some 800,000 Swiss nationals reside outside of the country
- Languages » German, French, Italian, Romansch, Bolze
- Major religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 81 years (men), 85 years (women)
- Currency » Swiss Franc (CHF)
- Internet TLD » .ch
- Area » 41,284 sq km (15,940 sq miles)
- A landlocked, mountainous country.
- The national holiday of Switzerland is on 1 August | The Federal Charter of 1291 (Wikipedia)
- One of the world’s most peaceful countries.
- One of Europe’s wealthiest countries.
- citizens have one of the highest living standards in the world.
- Switzerland joined the United Nations only in 2002.
- Surrounded by, but not a member of the the European Union.
- Part of the Schengen Area.
- Switzerland, became part of the Schengen area after it signed the agreement on 26 October 2004 and started its implementation on 12 December 2008.
- #1 overall in World’s Best Countries ranking (US News & World Report, 2019)
Safety & Security
- Switzerland is one of the 10 safest countries for travellers.
This page was updated August 29, 2023