- Officially » Republic of Slovenia
- Capital » Ljubljana
- Population » 2 million
- Language » Slovene
- Religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 76 years (men), 84 years (women)
- Member of the European Union and NATO
- Currency » Euro
- Area » 20,273 sq km (7,827 sq miles)
- A small Central European country
- Slovenia is bordered by »
- The first former Yugoslav republic to join the European Union, in May 2004 – shortly after joining NATO.
- Official tourism site » Slovenia.info
- The country signed the Schengen Area agreement on 16 April 2003, and started the full implementation of the convention four years later on 21 December 2007.
- Within this small country are Alpine mountains, thick forests, historic cities, and a short Adriatic coastline.
- Slovenia is known for the scenic Lake Bled, the Postojna Cave, Triglav National Park and its many castles.
- What to see and do in Ljubljana’s Old Town (G Adventures)
Safety and Security
- Slovenia is one of the worlds 10 safest places to visit.
- Slovenia is a member of the United Nations, the European Union, the Eurozone, the Schengen Area, the OSCE, the OECD, the Council of Europe, and NATO.
Government Travel Advice
This page was updated June 28, 2022