- Officially » Federal Republic of Germany
- Capital » Berlin
- Population » 82 million
- Language » German
- Religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 78 years (men), 83 years (women)
- Member of the E.U., Schengen Area, United Nations, NATO, the G8, the G20, and the OECD.
- Currency » Euro
- Emergency Numbers:
- 112 Fire service (Feuerwehr)
- 110 Police (Polizei)
- Area » 357,027 sq km (137,849 sq miles)
- Europe’s biggest nation
- Germany comprises 16 constituent states
- The main urban areas are: The Ruhr, Hamburg, Munich, Cologne, Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Düsseldorf.
- Land borders:
Maps and Navigation
- Google Maps
- Germany is known to offer free OTA traffic services accessible to properly equipped GPS devices. (Garmin)
- Germany is part of the Schengen Area
- Germany is one of the five founding countries of the Schengen agreement, signed on 14 June 1985. It started its implementation year later on 26 March 1995.
- Germany is the eighth most visited country in the world with 35.6 million visitors in 2016.
- The second most visited Schengen country
- Never use the hard shoulder as it is only intended for vehicles that break down and to enable emergency services vehicles a clear path to any accidents.
- It is forbidden to use the hard shoulder as a parking space for short breaks
- Use of mobile phones while driving is forbidden
- Low-emissions Zones in Germany
- Germany (like several other European countries) has a number of Low-emissions Zones throughout many major cities, regions. Most vehicles are affected. The low-emissions zones themselves are intended to improve local air quality, thereby reducing the effects on peoples overall health.
- May to December is considered the best time to visit
- The summer months of July through September are the most popular times to visit
- July through September is when the country is at its warmest
- Germany was a founding member of the European Union in 1993
- Germany is Europe’s most industrialised and populous country.
Germany’s World Ranking (2018)
- Innovation capability: 1st
- Quality of vocational training: 7th
- Freedom of the press: 15th
- Roads quality: 19th
- Property rights: 23rd
- Life expectancy: 24th
- Judicial independence: 25th
- Reliability of police services: 38th
Government Travel Advisories
This page was updated March 26, 2023