- Officially: The Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Capital: Amsterdam
- Population: 17 million
- Language: Dutch
- Religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 80 years (men), 84 years (women)
- The Netherlands is a founding member of the European Union, Eurozone, G10, NATO, OECD, and WTO.
- Currency: Euro
- Area 41,864 sq km (16,164 sq miles)
- More than a quarter of its total area under sea level
- 50% is less than one metre above sea level
- Netherlands consists of twelve provinces
- The Port of Rotterdam is the largest port in Europe and world’s largest port outside Asia
- The world’s second biggest beer exporter, after Mexico
- The Netherlands is one of the five founding states of the Schengen agreement, signed on 14 June 1985.
- Stereotypically known for the colourful tulips, numerous windmills and delicious cheese
- The Netherlands has given the world many of it’s most famous artists including:
- Van Gogh
- The country borders:
- The Netherlands does not have motorway road tolls.
- Dutch Transport Authority
The National Coordinator for Security and Counterterrorism (NCTV) maintains a national terrorism threat level for the Netherlands.