Sorted by Region
- Alternatively, here is list of Destination pages on this site sorted alphabetically.
World Travel Notes
The world’s most visited destinations (2018) are: 1. France (86.9 million) | 2. Spain (81.8m) | 3. USA (75.9m) | 4. China (60.7m) | 5. Italy (58.3m) | 6. Mexico (39.3m) | 7. United Kingdom (37.7m) | 8. Turkey (37.6m) | 9. Germany (37.5m) | 10. Thailand (35.4m) | More info here.
Number of dependent and unincorporated territories by country in 2018
Algeria | Angola | Ascension Island (UK) | Benin | Botswana | Burkina Faso | Burundi | Cabo Verde | Cameroon | Central African Republic (CAR) | Chad | Comoros | Democratic Republic of Congo | Republic of the Congo | Cote d’Ivoire (aka Ivory Coast) | Djibouti | Egypt | Equatorial Guinea | Eritrea | Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) | Ethiopia | Gabon | Gambia | Ghana | Guinea | Guinea-Bissau | Kenya | Lesotho | Liberia | Libya | Madagascar | Malawi | Mali | Mauritania | Mauritius | Morocco | Mozambique | Namibia | Niger | Nigeria | Reunion (France) | Rwanda | Saint Helena (UK) | Sao Tome and Principe | Senegal | Seychelles | Sierra Leone | Somalia | Somaliland | South Africa | South Sudan | Sudan | Tanzania | Togo | Tristan da Cunha (UK) | Tunisia | Uganda | Western Sahara | Zambia | Zimbabwe
Africa Travel Notes
- Africa has colourful people, bustling markets, starry nights, utter desert silence, inviting nomads, and modern entrepreneurs. It’s addictive.
- The African continent is determined by it’s surrounding seas. In the north it is separated from Europe by the Mediterranean Sea. To the northeast, it is separated from Asia by the Suez Canal and the Red Sea. On the east it is surrounded by the Indian Ocean, and the west by the Atlantic Ocean.
- Egypt is considered to be a transcontinental country as a small part of its territory is in Asia, on the other side of the Suez Canal. Politically, Egypt is a member of the African Union.
- The largest African country is Algeria.
- The smallest is the Seychelles.
- Morocco is in the most popular African tourist destination. This is followed by South Africa, Egypt, and Tunisia.
Antarctica Travel Notes
- It is the coldest continent in the world..
- There are no permanent inhabitants. Scientists maintaining research stations in Antarctica.
Afghanistan | Armenia | Azerbaijan | Bahrain | Bangladesh | Bhutan | Brunei | Cambodia | China | Cyprus | Georgia | Hong Kong (China) | India | Indonesia | Iran | Iraq | Israel | Japan | Jordan | Kazakhstan | Kuwait | Kyrgyzstan | Laos | Lebanon | Macau (China) | Malaysia | Maldives | Mongolia | Myanmar (formerly Burma) | Nepal | North Korea | Oman | Pakistan | Palestine | Philippines | Qatar | Russia | Saudi Arabia | Singapore | South Korea | South Ossetia | Sri Lanka | Syria | Taiwan | Tajikistan | Thailand | Tibet (China) | Timor-Leste | Turkey | Turkmenistan | United Arab Emirates (UAE) | Uzbekistan | Vietnam | Yemen
Asia Travel Notes
- The country most visited by tourists in this region is China, followed by India, Thailand, Malaysia, Turkey.
- Asia is the largest of the seven continents with a total area of 44,579,000 sq. km. (17,212,000 sq. mi).
- Asia has about 4.5 billion people, according to World Population Review, making it the most populous continent. Approximately 60% of the total population of the Earth live here.
- The continent is surrounded by the Arctic Ocean on the north, the Pacific Ocean on the east, and by the Indian Ocean on the south. It is separated from Africa by Suez Canal. The Mediterranean and Black Seas separate Asia from Europe. Overland the border runs through the Caucasus Mountains, the Caspian Sea, the Ural River, and Ural Mountains. This boundary crosses through Russia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Turkey, making these independent states part of both continents.
- The largest of the Asian countries by area is Russia. The smallest of the independent states is the Maldives, an archipelago of islands famous for its beach resorts.
- Armenia and Cyprus geographically are in Asia, but politically and culturally they also are considered as a part of Europe.
Albania | Andorra | Armenia | Austria | Azerbaijan | Belarus | Belgium | Bosnia and Herzegovina | Bulgaria | Croatia | Cyprus | Czechia | Denmark | Estonia | European Union (EU) | Faroe Islands (Denmark) | Finland | France | Georgia | Germany | Gibraltar (UK) | Greece | Hungary | Iceland | Ireland | Italy | Kazakhstan | Kosovo | Latvia | Liechtenstein | Lithuania | Luxembourg | Malta | Moldova | Monaco | Montenegro | Netherlands | North Macedonia | Norway | Poland | Portugal | Romania | Russia | San Marino | Serbia | Slovakia | Slovenia | Spain | Sweden | Switzerland | Turkey | Ukraine | United Kingdom (UK) | Vatican City (Holy See)
Europe Travel Notes
- List of European Union countries and Schengen Area members
- The most visited travel destination in Europe is France, followed by Spain, Italy, United Kingdom, and Germany.
- Russia, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Cyprus, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Turkey are often described as being located in either Europe and Asia.
- Greenland is geographically in North America but politically tied to Europe.
- Europe’s largest country is Russia (37% of total continent area).
- The smallest country in Europe is the Vatican City, which occupies only a small area in the center of Rome.
Anguilla (UK) | Antigua and Barbuda | Aruba (Netherlands) | Bahamas | Barbados | Belize | Bermuda (UK) | Bonaire (Netherlands) | British Virgin Islands (UK) | Canada | Cayman Islands (UK) | Clipperton Island (France) | Costa Rica | Cuba | Curacao (Netherlands) | Dominica | Dominican Republic | El Salvador | Greenland (Denmark) | Grenada | Guadeloupe (France) | Guatemala | Haiti | Honduras | Jamaica | Martinique (France) | Mexico | Montserrat (UK) | Navassa Island (USA) | Nicaragua | Panama | Puerto Rico (USA) | Saba (Netherlands) | Saint Barthelemy (aka St Barts) (France) | Saint Kitts and Nevis | Saint Lucia | Saint Martin (France) | Saint Pierre and Miquelon (France) | Saint Vincent and the Grenadines | Sint Eustatius (aka Statia) (Netherlands) | Sint Maarten (Netherlands) | Trinidad and Tobago | Turks and Caicos (UK) | United States of America | US Virgin Islands (USA)
North America Travel Notes
- The largest country in all the Americas is Canada.
- The smallest independent stated in North America is Saint Kitts and Nevis, in the Caribbean.
- The most visited North American country is the USA, followed by Mexico, and then Canada.
American Samoa (USA) | Australia | Cook Islands (New Zealand) | Fiji | French Polynesia (France) | Guam (USA) | Kiribati | Marshall Islands | Micronesia | Nauru | New Caledonia (France) | New Zealand | Niue (New Zealand) | Norfolk Island (Australia) | Northern Mariana Islands (USA) | Palau | Papua New Guinea | Pitcairn Islands (UK) | Samoa | Solomon Islands | Tokelau (New Zealand) | Tonga | Tuvalu | Vanuatu | Wake Island (USA) | Wallis and Futuna (France)
Oceania Travel Notes
- The largest sovereign state in this region is Australia, occupying about 86% of the total area.
- The smallest independent country is Nauru.
- The most visited tourist destinations in this region is Australian.
- Oceania is the least populated continent after Antarctica with only 0.3% of the Earth’s population.
Argentina | Bolivia | Brazil | Chile | Colombia | Ecuador | Falkland Islands (UK) | French Guiana (France) | Guyana | Paraguay | Peru | South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (UK) | Suriname | Uruguay | Venezuela
South America Travel Notes
- The largest country by area and the most populated is Brazil.
- The smallest independent state is Suriname.
- The most visited South American country is Brazil, followed by Argentina, and Peru.