- Population: 62.8 million
- Language: English
- Major religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 78 years (men), 82 years (women)
- Currency: pound sterling (GBP)
- Area: 242,514 sq km (93,638 sq miles)
- The ninth-richest country in the world
- Canadians do not require a visa for stays of six months or less.
- Not a member of the Schengen Area Agreement
- The UK is the seventh most visited destination in the world with 35.8 million visitors reported in 2016.
Travelling with Pets
- There are strict regulations about travelling to the UK with a dog, cat, or ferret.
- Verify the UK government web site for the current regulations. These regulations may change with Brexit.
- The UK’s Pet Travel Scheme ensures that all animals entering the UK are microchipped, vaccinated against rabies, and treated for tapeworm.
- UK Authorities do not permit animals to fly to the UK within the aircraft cabin. They must go in the cargo area.
- Only certain airlines are permitted to carry dogs, cats and ferrets into the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme and none of them are permitted to bring in animals within the aircraft cabin. The exception to this rule is if you are travelling with an Assistance Dog.
- Ferry crossing between Calais and Dover allow pets in passenger vehicles, however the pet must remain in the car for the whole journey.
- Pets are permitted on Eurotunnel, with a valid Pet Passport.
- Further reading – NY Times Article: Want to Take Your Pet on Your Next Vacation? Here Is What You Need to Know
- #5 Overall Ranking in World’s Best Countries (US News & World Report, 2019)
UK’s World Ranking (2018)
- Property rights: 5th
- Innovation capability: 7th
- Judicial independence: 13th
- Reliability of police services: 18th
- Roads quality: 26th
- Healthy life expectancy: 28th
- Quality of vocational training: 28th
- Freedom of the press: 35th