- Population » 10 million
- Language » Hungarian
- Religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 71 years (men), 78 years (women)
- Currency » Hungarian Forint (HUF)
- Member of the European Union
- Area » 93,030 sq km (35,919 sq miles)
- Landlocked country located in Central Europe
- Hungary shares land border with Slovakia to the north, Ukraine to the northeast, Austria to the northwest, Romania to the east, Serbia to the south, Croatia to the southwest, and Slovenia to the west
- Hungary signed the Schengen area agreement on 16 April 2003 and started its implementation on 21 December 2007.
- Budapest is perhaps one of the most beautiful cities in central Europe
- Known as the ‘Paris of central Europe’ and ‘the Queen of the Danube’, Budapest is adorned with beautiful architecture, most of which was built towards the end of the 19th century when the city enjoyed a boom during the industrial revolution. Four ornate bridges link Buda and Pest.
- The landlocked nation is teeming with thermal water springs—more than 1,300, with 123 in Budapest alone.
- Hungary is home to Lake Balaton, the largest in central Europe.
- The countryside surrounding the lake is one of Hungary’s 22 wine-growing regions and reportedly one of the best in the country.
- Drive » Right side
- Ranked 48th Best Country in the World 2021 (US News & World Report)
- Not ranked in 2020
- 46th for Adventure 2021
- Ranked 24th in the Global Peace Index 2021
- Ranked 21st in 2020
- Ranked 17th in 2019
- Hungary is a medical tourism destinations in Europe
- Hungarian law bans the depiction or promotion of homosexuality to those under 18 (France 24)
Safety and Security
- NATO member
Government Travel Advice
Last Updated on December 22, 2018