- Capital: Bucharest
- Population: 21.4 million
- Language: Romanian
- Major religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 71 years (men), 78 years (women)
- Member of the European Union
- Currency: Romanian Leu
- Area: 238,391 sq km (148,129 sq miles)
- A southeastern European country
- The largest of the Balkan countries
- Romania has been part of the European Union since January 2007.
- Canadians do not require a visa for stays up to 90 days within any 180-day period
- European Union country not in the Schengen Area.
- Romania is currently in the process of joining the Schengen area
- Many long-term travellers head to Romania (and other Balkan countries) after spending the maximum allowed 90-days in the Schengen Area.
- Known for the forested region of Transylvania
- Romania has dramatic mountain scenery and a coastline on the Black Sea.
- Lots of great hikes and historic sites, and most everything is inexpensive.
- Shares land borders with Bulgaria, Hungary, Moldova, Serbia, and Ukraine
- Also shares a maritime border with Turkey.
- Though Romania and Ukraine share a long border, there is no crossing near the Black sea. The shortest path is through Moldova and the district of Transnistria.