- Capital: Kiev
- Very inexpensive city
- Population: 44.9 million
- Languages: Ukrainian (official), Russian
- Few people speak English.
- A significant minority of the population uses Russian as its first language, particularly in the industrialised east.
- Religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 64 years (men), 75 years (women)
- Currency: hryvnya
- Ukraine is off the beaten trail. Consequently, it is not the easiest country to get around in for the independent traveller — making it ideal for intrepid travellers.
- A land of wide, fertile agricultural plains, with large pockets of heavy industry in the east.
News about Ukraine
- Area: 603,700 sq km (233,090 sq miles)
- Europe’s second largest country.