- Officially » ٱلْمَمْلَكَة ٱلْعَرَبِيَّة ٱلسَّعُوْدِيَّة (Arabic)
- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (English)
- Capital » Riyadh
- Population » 32 million
- Language » Arabic
- Religion » Islam
- Life expectancy » 73 years (men), 76 years (women)
- Currency » Riyal (SAR)
- Electric Power » 220 V @ 60 Hz
- Plug Type G
- Area » 2.24 million sq km (864,869 sq miles)
- Saudi Arabia is bordered by Jordan and Iraq to the north, Kuwait to the northeast, Qatar, Bahrain, and the United Arab Emirates to the east, Oman to the southeast and Yemen to the south; it is separated from Egypt and Israel in the north-west by the Gulf of Aqaba.
- By area, it is the largest sovereign state in the Middle East, the fifth-largest Asian country, second-largest in the Arab world after Algeria, and 12th-largest in the world.
- Drive » Right hand side
- Note » Right Hand Drive (RHD) vehicles are nearly impossible to be driven in the country without first obtaining special permission. Most likely to be refused entry at the border with it.
- Roads are all well maintained.
- One access to and from Sudan (and Africa) is through Saudi Arabia via a Red Sea ferry.
- Saudi Arabia is often accused of human rights abuses by the international community, including being responsible for the murder of journalists and foreign nationals.
- The Al Saud dynasty holds a monopoly of political power.
- Muslims from all over the world converge on Mecca for the annual Hajj pilgrimage.
Safety and Security
- “Reconsider your need to travel. Higher levels apply in some areas.” – Australia Smartraveller June 2019