ٱلْمَمْلَكَة ٱلْعَرَبِيَّة ٱلسَّعُوْدِيَّة
- Population » 32 million
- Language » Arabic
- Religion » Islam
- Life expectancy » 73 years (men), 76 years (women)
- Currency » Riyal (SAR)
- Saudi Riyal is a fixed at 3.75 riyals to the US dollar.
- Electric Power » 220 V @ 60 Hz
- Plug Type G
- Area » 2.24 million sq km (864,869 sq miles)
- Saudi Arabia is bordered by Jordan and Iraq to the north, Kuwait to the northeast, Qatar, Bahrain, and the United Arab Emirates to the east, Oman to the southeast and Yemen to the south; it is separated from Egypt and Israel in the north-west by the Gulf of Aqaba.
- By area, it is the largest sovereign state in the Middle East, the fifth-largest Asian country, second-largest in the Arab world after Algeria, and 12th-largest in the world.
- Drive » Right hand side
- Note » Right Hand Drive (RHD) vehicles
arewere nearly impossible to be driven in the country without first obtaining special permission. Most likely to be refused entry at the border with it. That’s changing as the country welcomes more tourists.
- Roads are all well maintained.
- One access to and from Sudan (and Africa) is through Saudi Arabia via a Red Sea ferry.
- Harsh, dry desert with temperature extremes
- Medina, in western Saudi Arabia, and Jazan, a port city and the capital of Jizan Region, in the southwest corner of Saudi Arabia are two of the top ten hottest places on Earth.
- Member of the Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf
- The weekend in Saudi Arabia is Friday and Saturday, with Sunday a normal working day, in line with many countries in the middle east.
- Saudi Arabia is often accused of human rights abuses by the international community.
- The Al Saud dynasty holds a monopoly of political power.
- Muslims from all over the world converge on Mecca for the annual Hajj pilgrimage.
Safety and Security
Government Travel Advice for Saudi Arabia
This page was updated May 3, 2023