- Population: 41 million
- Younger than 15 yo: 29.5%
- 65+ yo: 6.1%
- Major languages: Arabic, French, Berber
- Major religion: Islam
- Life expectancy: 76 years (men), 78 years (women)
- Currency: Dinar (DZD)
- Area: 2.4 million sq km (919,595 sq miles)
- The capital and most populous city is Algiers, located in the far north of the country on the Mediterranean coast.
- Algeria is the tenth-largest country in the world, and the largest in Africa.
- Algeria is bordered to the northeast by Tunisia, to the east by Libya, to the west by Morocco, to the southwest by the Western Saharan territory, Mauritania, and Mali, to the southeast by Niger, and to the north by the Mediterranean Sea.
- The largest nation in Africa, occupying 7 percent of the landmass.
- The largest country in at the Arab world.
- Cars per 1,000 inhabitants: 90.5
- People killed in road accidents (per million inhabitants): 88.2
Safety and Security
Risk level high in some areas of Algeria, particularly within 50 km border regions with Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger and Tunisia due to a heightened threat from terrorism and kidnapping.
A protest movement that began in February, 2019, is still ongoing in July 2019.