- Population » 37 million
- Languages » Arabic, Kurdish
- Religion » Islam
- Life expectancy » 68 years (men), 73 years (women)
- Currency » Iraqi Dinar (IQD)
- 1 Iraqi Dinar (IQD) = 1000 Fils (out of circulation)
- Electricity: 220 Volt / 50 Hertz AC, English plug
- Area » 438,317 sq km (169,235 sq miles)
- The Republic of Iraq is in Western Asia. It is bordered by Turkey to the north, Iran to the east, the Persian Gulf and Kuwait to the southeast, Saudi Arabia to the south, Jordan to the southwest and Syria to the west.
Safety & Security
- Since 2014, the Iraqi government, backed by Peshmerga forces, various militia groups, and US-led international coalition forces, has been engaged in an armed conflict against the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). This is an international armed conflict on Iraqi territory involving Turkish airstrikes against the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) without the consent of the Iraqi government.
- Iraq is considered one of the world’s most dangerous destinations for travellers. (2019)
Government Advice for Travellers
This page was updated May 16, 2023