- Officially » Türkiye Cumhuriyeti
- Republic of Turkey (English)
- Capital » Ankara
- Population » 79.5 million
- Kurds make up about a fifth of the population.
- Istanbul is the third most dense city in Europe after Moscow and Paris.
- Languages » Turkish (official), Kurdish, English is also widely spoken
- Major religion » Islam
- Life expectancy » 72 years (men), 79 (women)
- Currency » Turkish lira
- Electricity » 230 V @ 50 Hz
- Plug Type » C / F
- Area » 779,452 sq km (300,948 sq miles)
- Turkey is partially located in both Europe and Asia.
- Turkey, by land mass, is positioned 95% in Asia and 5% in Europe.
- Turkey borders Armenia, Iran, and Azerbaijan in the east, Georgia in the northeast, Bulgaria and Greece in the northwest, and Iraq and Syria in the southeast.
- Turkey is the fifth most visited country by tourists on the Asian continent.
- Istanbul » Pre-pandemic, was on the verge of over-tourism (World Travel & Tourism Council, 2019)
- Ani » Capital of the Armenian Bagratid dynasty until the 11th century, and situated on key trade routes – in the far east of Turkey
- Underground Cities and Carved Castles of Cappadocia (Fodor / Google)
- Fethiye to Antalya (Spring and fall are the best time)
- rock tombs of Myra
- the eternally burning flames of Chimera
- seaside amphitheater of Antiphellos
- Recommended accommodations » Marianne and Chris of Tread the Globe repeated stayed at The Osmanli Hani in Dalyan and were treaded very well during the Covid lockdowns.
- Unesco World Heritage Sites
- Canadians travelling to Turkey for tourism or trade should purchase an e-visa prior to entering the country. (June 2021)
- To renew a 90-day visa, you must leave the country for at least 90 days before being allowed to re-enter.
- If you wish to remain in Turkey for longer than 90 consecutive days, you must obtain a residence permit from the Provincial Directorate of Migration Management in the province in which you reside.
- When your e-Visa expires, you are not allowed to apply for a new e-Visa without departing from Turkey.
- Drive » Right Side
- The land border between Turkey and Armenia is closed. (Wikipedia)
- Turkey wishes to join the European Union, but has been denied membership at the objections of Cyprus, Germany, and France. (2021)
- Joining the European Union has been a longstanding ambition, but stalled over Turkey’s human rights record.
- Visa liberalization is a top priority for Turkey as they wish their citizens have visa-free travel in the Schengen area
- Tea is more common (I think)
- Istanbul: Drink like the locals with a warm cup of Turk Hahvesi.
- This coffee has been described as something that is “remembered for 40 years.”
- Traditionally the coffee, which is listed on the UNESCO intangible heritage register, is served after meals from a long-handles copper pot called a cezve.
- About $2 a cup.
Safety and Security
Government Travel Advice
- Canada – Canadians require a visa (E-Visa) good for up to 90 days.
- New Zealand
Turkey’s World Rankings
- #34 in Best Countries Overall 2021 (US News and World Report)
- #35 Best Overall in 2020
- Ranked 21st for Adventure in 2021
- World Economic Forum 2018
- Roads quality » 33rd
- Innovation capability » 47th
- Life expectancy » 47th
- Reliability of police services » 90th
- Property rights » 96th
- Judicial independence » 111th
- Freedom of the press » 129th
- Quality of vocational training » 132nd
This page was last updated on 2021.06.28 by Robert Vinet