- Officially: Republic of Azerbaijan
- Capital: Baku
- Population: 9.9 million (2017)
- Less than 15 yo: 22.6%
- More than 65 yo: 6.3%
- Major languages: Azeri, Russian
- Major religion: Islam
- Life expectancy: 72 years (men), 79 years (women)
- Main exports: Oil, oil products
- Currency: Azerbaijani manat
- Area: 86,600 sq km (33,400 sq miles)
- Located in the South Caucasus region of Eurasia, at the crossroads of Eastern Europe and Western Asia.
- Bound by the Caspian Sea and Caucasus Mountains, which span Asia and Europe.
- East of the European Union.
- Many consider Azerbaijan an Asian country while others claim it to be part of eastern Europe.
- Other travellers advise to register with the Immigration office if you stay longer than ten days in Azerbaijan. Failing to do so could lead to heavy fines.
- Baku is famed for its medieval walled Inner City
- Baku is the Caucasus largest city
- Within the Inner City lies the Palace of the Shirvanshahs, a royal retreat dating to the 15th century, and the centuries-old stone Maiden Tower, which dominates the city skyline.
- Qobustan – ancient petroglyphs, south of Baku
- Stepanakert, originally called Vararakn, is the capital and the largest city of the de facto Republic of Artsakh, a disputed republic that has no international recognition and deemed part of Azerbaijan
- Sheki — a beautiful city in a forest mountain setting
- Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix through the streets of Baku in the spring.
- The land border between Azerbaijan and Armenia is closed.
- Obtain and keep safe customs document for the vehicle upon entry.
- Required to turn them over when you leave.
- When leaving, there is an import tax ($6 dollars for one motorbike).
- Baku, Azerbaijan to Aktau, Kazakhstan – Caspian Sea Ferry Crossing
- $80 per person // $300 for the car // Dogs are free (2018)
- 30 hour crossing
- Irregular crossing. When it’s full. When the weather is good.
- Border officials are known to confiscate drones.
- They may offer the option for you to keep your drone if you return immediately to the country you came from. (ie Georgia)
- Oil-rich nation
- Formerly part of the Soviet republic
Safety & Security
Last Updated on April 12, 2019