- Officially: Republic of Bulgaria
- Capital: Sofia
- Population: 7.4 million
- Language: Bulgarian
- Religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 71 years (men), 78 years (women)
- A member country of the European Union and NATO
- Currency: Bulgarian lev (BGN)
- Bulgaria has committed to adopt the Euro once it fulfils the necessary conditions.
- Area: 110,994 sq km (42,855 sq miles)
- Situated in the eastern Balkans
- Canadians do not require a tourist visa for stays of fewer than 90 days in any 180-day period
- Bulgaria is not a member of the Schengen Area agreement.
- NOTE: Bulgaria is currently in the process of joining the Schengen area.
- Here you will find Roman ruins, incredible beaches, medieval cities, and lots of forests.
- Few tourists outside Sofia, the capital city.
- Land borders with Romania, Serbia, North Macedonia, Greece, and Turkey.
- The Black Sea lies to the east.
Safety & Security
- Bulgaria is an EU member country since 1 January 2007
This page was last updated on 2021.03.18 by Robert Vinet