- Officially » България (Bulgarian)
- Republic of Bulgaria (English)
- Capital » Sofia
- Population » 7.4 million
- Language » Bulgarian
- Religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 71 years (men), 78 years (women)
- A member country of the European Union and NATO
- Currency » Bulgarian lev (BGN)
- Bulgaria has committed to adopt the Euro once it fulfills the necessary conditions.
- International Calling Code » +359
- Electric Plugs » Types C, E, and F (Source)
- Area » 110,994 sq km (42,855 sq miles)
- Situated in the eastern Balkans
- Land borders with Romania, Serbia, North Macedonia, Greece, and Turkey.
- The Black Sea lies to the east
- Bulgaria, along with Romania and Croatia, are likely to become members of the Schengen Agreement, as the European Commission aims to make the Schengen area stronger and more sustainable. (Source, June 2021)
- Canadians do not require a tourist visa for stays of fewer than 90 days in any 180-day period
- Bulgaria is not a member of the Schengen Area agreement.
- NOTE: Bulgaria is currently in the process of joining the Schengen area.
- Here you will find Roman ruins, incredible beaches, medieval cities, and lots of forests.
- Few tourists outside Sofia, the capital city.
- Official Tourism Info
- Drive » Right side
Safety & Security
- Bulgaria has been an EU member country since 1 January 2007
Government Travel Advice
This page was last updated on 2021.06.03 by Robert Vinet