- Officially: Republic of China (ROC)
- Capital: Taipei
- Population 23.3 million
- Major languages: Mandarin Chinese (official), Min Nan Chinese (Taiwanese), Hakka
- Major religions: Taoism, Buddhism, Christianity
- Life expectancy: 76.2 years (men), 82.7 years (women)
- Currency: New Taiwan dollar
- GMT+ 8 hours all year
- Area: 36,188 sq km (13,972 sq miles)
- An island state in East Asia.
- Taiwan became the first country in Asia to legalize gay marriage following divisive two-year fight
- China claims, but does not control Taiwan.
- Taiwan (the ROC) is recognized by 16 UN member states and the Holy See as of 21 August 2018.
- None of these recognize China (People’s Republic of China)
- Bhutan has refrained from recognizing either the ROC or the PRC
- Canadians do not require tourist or business visas for stays of up to 90 days. (Source 2019)
- Once in Taiwan, Canadians may extend their stay for an additional 90 days by placing a request with the Taiwanese Bureau of Consular Affairs.
- Similarly, a visa is not required by UK, EU, US, NZ, Australian and some other nationalities for up to 90 days.
- From Taipei (台北) to Kaohsiung (高雄), this island nation has a lot to offer in a small package
- Cannot find any ferry to Taiwan except from China (2019)
- Ferry from Okinawa, Japan stopped in 2008.
- Note: If travelling by ferry from Chine, you must already have a double-entry visa for China, prior to reaching Taiwan. There are no Chinese embassies in Taiwan. You will not be able to get a Chinese visa once in Taiwan.
Taiwan World Ranking, 2018
- Innovation capability: 4th
- Roads quality: 18th
- Property rights: 24th
- Life expectancy: 26th
- Reliability of police services: 31st
- Quality of vocational training: 36th
- Freedom of the press: 37th
- Judicial independence: 47th