- Officially » United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Capital » London
- Population » 67 million (2020)
- Language » English
- Major religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 78 years (men), 82 years (women)
- Currency » pound sterling (GBP)
- Area » 242,514 sq km (93,638 sq miles)
- Politically, the UK is not part of the European Union, but physically it is part of Europe.
- Northern Ireland shares a land border with the Republic of Ireland; otherwise, the UK is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the North Sea, the English Channel, the Celtic Sea and the Irish Sea.
- Canadians do not require a visa for stays of six months or less.
- Not a member of the Schengen Area Agreement
- The UK was the seventh most visited destination in the world with 35.8 million visitors reported in 2016.
Travelling with Pets
- There are strict regulations about travelling to the UK with a dog, cat, or ferret.
- Verify the UK government web site for the current regulations. These regulations may change with Brexit.
- The UK’s Pet Travel Scheme ensures that all animals entering the UK are microchipped, vaccinated against rabies, and treated for tapeworm.
- UK Authorities do not permit animals to fly to the UK within the aircraft cabin. They must go in the cargo area.
- Only certain airlines are permitted to carry dogs, cats and ferrets into the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme and none of them are permitted to bring in animals within the aircraft cabin. The exception to this rule is if you are travelling with an Assistance Dog.
- Ferry crossing between Calais and Dover allow pets in passenger vehicles, however the pet must remain in the car for the whole journey.
- Pets are permitted on Eurotunnel, with a valid Pet Passport.
- Further reading – NY Times Article: Want to Take Your Pet on Your Next Vacation? Here Is What You Need to Know
- #8 in Overall Rankings in the World’s Best Countries, 2022 (US News & World Report)
- #5 Overall Ranking in 2019
UK’s World Ranking (2018)
- Property rights » 5th
- Innovation capability » 7th
- Judicial independence » 13th
- Reliability of police services » 18th
- Roads quality » 26th
- Healthy life expectancy » 28th
- Quality of vocational training » 28th
- Freedom of the press » 35th
Last Updated on December 20, 2022