Republic of Ireland
- Capital » Dublin
- Also the largest city
- Population » 5.1 million (2023)
- Around 40% of the country’s population resides in the Greater Dublin Area.
- Official languages » Irish and English
- Major religion » Roman Catholicism, Protestantism
- Life expectancy » 78 years (men), 83 years (women)
- Member of the European Union
- Currency » euro
- Emergency Numbers »
- 999 or 112
- Area » 70,182 sq km (27,097 sq miles)
- Ireland is a sovereign state which covers approximately five-sixths of the island of Ireland, off the coast of north-west Europe.
- The Republic of Ireland shares its only land border with Northern Ireland, part of the United Kingdom.
- Not a member of the Schengen Area Agreement
- Canadians do not require a visa for stays up to 90 days.
- Drive « on the left
- Toll roads and charges that are applicable can be found at Transport Infrastructure Ireland
- Use of mobile phones (unless in hands-free mode) is prohibited
- Warning triangles should be carried
- Irish Ministry of Transport
- The Taoiseach is the head of government, or prime minister, of Ireland
- Politically a western country
- Not a NATO member, but importantly a member of the EU, and allied with the UK, Canada, the US and other western countries
- Of the 32 counties that make up the island of Ireland, 26 counties are in the Republic of Ireland and 6 are in Northern Ireland.
- Alcohol is ingrained in Irish culture. Consumption is decreasing.
This page was updated June 4, 2023