- Capital » London
- Also largest city in England
- Population: 56.3 million
- Major language: English
- Major religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 77 years (men), 82 years (women) (UN)
- Currency: : 1 pound sterling = 100 pence
- Internet domain: .uk
- International dialling code: +44
- Area: 130,395 sq km (50,346 sq miles)
- England shares land borders with Wales to its west and Scotland to its north.
- England is part of the United Kingdom
- With a culturally diverse population, England is divided into nine regions, and then organized by counties, districts, cities and towns.
- London is the most densely populated area in the United Kingdom, with around 13 million inhabitants
- London is the centre for trade, politics and law, and is also a huge tourist hotspot with plenty of attractions, outdoor spaces, iconic monuments, and historic buildings.
- Main exports: Manufactured goods, chemicals, foodstuffsGNI per capita (UK figure): US $45,390 (World Bank, 2008)
- Evening Standard – London’s evening daily
- Manchester Evening News – north-west daily
- Birmingham Post/Birmingham Mail – West Midlands stablemates
- Yorkshire Post – Leeds-based daily
- Evening Chronicle – Newcastle-based daily
- Western Morning News – Plymouth-based daily
This page was last updated on 2021.08.24 by Robert Vinet