República Federativa do Brasil
- Federative Republic of Brazil
- Capital » Brasilia
- Population » 215 million people
- Language » Portuguese
- Religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 72 years (men), 79 years (women)
- Currency » real (BRL)
- Electricity » 220 V @ 60 Hz and 127 V @ 50 Hz
- Plug Types » C and N
- 190 for police
192 for ambulance
193 for fire Services
- 190 for police
- The largest country in South America by area.
- Fifth largest in the world.
- With an area of 8.55million sq km (3.3million sq miles)
- Brazil occupies about the 50% of the total mainland area of South America.
- Most of the Amazon lies within Brazil.
- Largest city » Sao Paulo
- Brazil is bordered by Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
- Brazil has an almost 7,500 km long coastline at the Atlantic Ocean.
- As of June 17, 2019, Canadian, Australian, Japanese, and American (possibly others) passport holders entering Brazil for tourism, transit, or business will no longer need a visa for stays of up to 90 days.
- Drive on the right
- (if you’re going north, French Guiana drive on the left side of the road)
- The length of time a vehicle can stay in Brazil is based how long the owner can stay in Brazil.
- Shipping across the Amazon River » Belém to Macapá (Santana) (Landcruising Adventure)
- The crossing takes 35-42 hours.
- Amazon »
- Note » Overseas shipping to Brazil, is not recommended by other overlanders.
- Festivals in the Amazon (Footprints)
- Occupying half of South America’s land mass, Brazil is the giant of the continent – both in size and in population.
- Brazil is the most visited South American country.
- Brazil was perhaps South America’s most influential country, and rising economic power.
- The country had made major strides in its efforts to raise millions out of poverty, although the gap between rich and poor remains wide.
- Lately, the nation is suffering from soaring crime, a dying economy, and entrenched political corruption.
- A former Portuguese colony. Portuguese remains the main language.
- Brazil has a highly diverse population, including indigenous Americans and the descendants of African slaves and European settlers.
- With a population of 208 million, over 52% of the South Americans live in Brazil.
- Brazil is the world’s fifth most populous country.
- Ranked #28 in Best Countries Overall (2023) (US News and World Report)
- #27 out of 85 in 2022
- 26th in 2021
- 28th in 2020
- World Economic Forum (2018)
- Innovation capability: 40th
- Life expectancy: 72nd
- Judicial independence: 79th
- Freedom of the press: 83rd
- Property rights: 92nd
- Reliability of police services: 111th
- Roads quality: 112th
- Quality of vocational training: 121st
- Proof of Yellow fever vaccination (Yellow Card) is not required to enter Brazil (Canada).
- However, proof of yellow fever vaccination for travellers from all countries is required for French Guiana, and therefore recommended before going that way.
- Violent crime continues to be a problem throughout Brazil. (2023)
- It is particularly prevalent in major cities including Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Brasilia, Recife, Natal, Fortaleza and, Salvador, and in the north of the country (particularly the state of Amazonas), including near the borders with Venezuela and Colombia.
- NZ states (2023) In this context violent crime can include murder, mugging, armed robbery, home invasion, and sexual assault and often involves firearms or other weapons.
- Crime rates are highest in urban centres, particularly in areas adjacent to impoverished neighbourhoods of »
- Adventure Trend
- Dare2Go – Santa Catarina: a Spectacular Mountain Roadtrip
- Landcrusing Adventure – Driving The Transamazônica
- Landcruising Adventure – Driving the BR319 between Porto Velho to Manaus
- Landcruising Adventure – 7 Adventurous, Cultural & Inspiring Road Trips in Brazil
This page was updated September 23, 2023