- Officially: Republic of China (ROC)
- Capital: Taipei
- Population 23.3 million
- Major languages: Mandarin Chinese (official), Min Nan Chinese (Taiwanese), Hakka
- Major religions: Taoism, Buddhism, Christianity
- Life expectancy: 76.2 years (men), 82.7 years (women)
- Currency: New Taiwan dollar
- GMT+ 8 hours all year
- Area: 36,188 sq km (13,972 sq miles)
- An island state in East Asia.
- Taiwan became the first country in Asia to legalize gay marriage following divisive two-year fight
- China claims, but does not control Taiwan.
- Taiwan (the ROC) is recognized by 16 UN member states and the Holy See as of 21 August 2018.
- None of these recognize China (People’s Republic of China)
- Bhutan has refrained from recognizing either the ROC or the PRC
- Canadians do not require tourist or business visas for stays of up to 90 days. (Source 2019)
- Once in Taiwan, Canadians may extend their stay for an additional 90 days by placing a request with the Taiwanese Bureau of Consular Affairs.
- Similarly, a visa is not required by UK, EU, US, NZ, Australian and some other nationalities for up to 90 days.
- From Taipei (台北) to Kaohsiung (高雄), this island nation has a lot to offer in a small package
- Mountain roads are narrow, winding and poorly banked. Some roads can become impassable due to heavy rain and landslides during the monsoon and typhoon seasons. Consult the Directorate General of Highways for up-to-date information on road conditions.
- Cannot find any ferry to Taiwan except from China (2019)
- Ferry from Okinawa, Japan stopped in 2008.
- Note: If travelling by ferry from China, you must already have a double-entry visa for China, prior to reaching Taiwan. There are no Chinese embassies in Taiwan. You will not be able to get a Chinese visa once in Taiwan.
Taiwan World Ranking, 2018
- Innovation capability: 4th
- Roads quality: 18th
- Property rights: 24th
- Life expectancy: 26th
- Reliability of police services: 31st
- Quality of vocational training: 36th
- Freedom of the press: 37th
- Judicial independence: 47th
This page was last updated on 2021.03.18 by Robert Vinet