- Capital » Juneau
- Largest city » Anchorage
- Area » 1,717,856 sq km (663,268 sq mi)
- The largest state in the U.S.
- Highest elevation (Denali) » 6,190.5 m (20,310 ft)
- Denali, also known as Mount McKinley, is also the highest peak in North America.
- Alaska borders the Canadian province of British Columbia to the south, the territory of Yukon to the east, and has a maritime border with Russia to the west.
National Parks in Alaska
- Denali National Park and Preserve
- Gates of the Arctic National Park
- Kobuk Valley National Park (NPS / Wikipedia)
- Located about 25 miles north of the Arctic Circle
- Contains the Great Kobuk Sand Dunes (NPS) – the largest active sand dunes in the Arctic
- Glacier Bay National Park
- Katmai National Park
- Famous for volcanoes, brown bears, pristine waterways with abundant fish, remote wilderness, and a rugged coastline
- Kenai National Wildlife Refuge
- A massive wilderness of mountains and lakes, swarming with wildlife
- Kenai Fjords National Park
- Where glaciers, earthquakes, and ocean storms are the architects.
- Lake Clark National Park and Preserve
- Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve
- Chugach, Wrangell, and Saint Elias mountain ranges converge here in what is often referred to as the “mountain kingdom of North America.” It has the continent’s largest assemblage of glaciers and greatest collection of peaks above 16,000 ft (4,900 m)
- Yukon – Charley Rivers National Preserve
- Bordering the Yukon, Canada in central Alaska
- Driving rules and regulations » Alaska Division of Motor Vehicle
- Alaska Driver Manual (.pdf download)
- Driver and all passengers are required to wear safety belts.
- Unless otherwise posted »
- The speed limit is 20 MPH when driving in business districts and school zones.
- The speed limit in alleys is 15 MPH.
- The speed limit in residential areas is 25 MPH.
- Headlights are required to be turned on in all situations such as fog, rain, smoke, snow and dust in which visibility is reduced to 1,000 feet or less.
This page was updated May 15, 2023