- Officially: Islamic Republic of Mauritania
- Capital: Nouakchott
- 4.42 million (2017)
- Major languages: Arabic, Hassaniya
- Foreign languages: French
- Currency: 1 Ouguiya (MRO) = 5 Khoums
- Electricity: 220 Volt / 50 Hertz AC
- Mauritania is a country in Northwest Africa.
- It is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the west, Western Sahara to the north and northwest, Algeria to the northeast, Mali to the east and southeast, and Senegal to the southwest.
Points of Interest
- Richat Structure
- Also called Guelb er Richât, the “Eye of Africa”, or “Eye of the Sahara” is a prominent circular feature in the Sahara’s Adrar Plateau, near Ouadane, west–central Mauritania.
- Banc d’Arguin National Park
- This World Heritage Site is a major breeding site for migratory birds, including flamingos, broad-billed sandpipers, pelicans and terns.
Safety & Security
- Mauritania is considered one of the most dangerous places for tourists (2019).
- The unsafe situation in northern Mali affects Mauritania.
- There is also a risk of kidnapping by terrorist groups.
- Driving at night should be avoided.