- Population: 6 million
- Major languages: Kyrgyz, Russian
- Most of its six million people are Turkic-speaking Muslims.
- Major religions: Islam, Christianity
- Life expectancy: 67 years (men), 75 years (women)
- Currency som
- Area: 199,900 sq km (77,182 sq miles)
- A Central Asian state bordering China
- Border by Kazakhstan to the north, Uzbekistan to the west and southwest, Tajikistan to the southwest and China to the east.
- In Central Asia, Kyrgyzstan generally, offers the good value with its excellent and affordable homestay network.
- The millennia-old city of Osh has an excellent market
- Tourist visa is not required for Canadians staying up to 60 days.
- For stays longer than 60 days, obtain a Kyrgyzstan’s e-visa – Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kyrgyzstan
- If you plan to stay in Kyrgyzstan for longer than 60 days, you must register at a State Registration Service Passport Desk (in Russian) within 5 work days following your arrival.
- On the Silk Road
- You may have horses for company as you overland in Kyrgyzstan
- To or from the Fergana Valley, Uzbekistan, use the border between Andijan and Osh
- The Tian Shan mountains, which surround the old caravan route and dominate the country, are home to snow leopards, lynx and sheep.
- In the south, the millennia-old city of Osh has a huge, busy bazaar that was once a stop on the Silk Road.
- Kyzyl-Art pass (Elevation: 4,336 meters – 14,226 feet) border crossing with Tajikistan.
- Used by the Wescotts in 2014.