- Population: 32 million
- Major languages: Uzbek, Russian, Tajik
- Major religion: Islam
- Life expectancy 68 years (men), 74 years (women)
- Currency Uzbek som
- Area: 447,400 sq km (172,700 sq miles)
- Uzbekistan boasts some of the Silk Road’s most fabled destinations
- Forts, such as the one still standing at Khiva, were built to protect traders from bandits. This well-preserved city is known as the Museum under the Sky.
- Also on the Silk Road, Samarkand is a city known for its mosques and mausoleums.
- People are warm and hospitable.
- No visa required for stays shorter than 30 days. (Source – 2019)
- Canadians must obtain a visa before arriving in Uzbekistan for stays longer than 30 days.
- Since Feb 2019, if you have a British citizen passport you can enter Uzbekistan as a visitor for stays of up to 30 days without a visa.
- Overlanders may cross one of many borders from a neighbouring countries.
- Petrol (Gasoline) is difficult to find. Most vehicles run on diesel.
- There is a black market for petrol, but it is often of poor quality or watered down.
- Many potholes.
See & Do
- Fergana Valley
Safety and Security
- Uzbekistan is one of the worlds 10 safest countries for travellers.