- Population 1.4 billion
- China is the world’s most populous country.
- Major language: Mandarin Chinese
- Major religions: Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Taoism
- Life expectancy: 75 years (men), 78 years (women)
- Currency: Chinese Yuan Renminbi (CNY)
- Area: 9.6 million sq km (3.7 million sq miles)
- The People’s Republic of China is the fourth largest country in the world.
- China is the fourth most visited country in the world with a reported 59.3 million visitors in 2016.
- Hong Kong and Macau are Special Administrative Regions of China.
- China has one of the world’s fastest-growing economies, and is a leading exporter, as well as a major overseas investor.
- China’s Communist Party retains a tight grip on political life and much of society.
- A guide from a recognized tour company is required to be with the overlanders at all times during your trip.
- This makes an extended trip through China quite expensive and cost prohibitive for some.
- To reduce expenses, one guide can accompany a group of overlanders who arrange to travel together through China.
Safety and Security
December 2018 – In light of recent developments, Canadians travelling to China and Canadians already in China will want to take extra care that their visas are in order. Chinese authorities are imprisoning Canadians for visa irregularities.
Up-to-date Government Advice
News About China