- Officially » Oʻzbekiston Respublikasi
- Republic of Uzbekistan (English)
- Capital » Tashkent
- Population » 32 million
- Languages » Uzbek, Russian, Tajik
- Religion » Islam
- Life expectancy » 68 years (men), 74 years (women)
- Currency » Uzbek som
- Area » 447,400 sq km (172,700 sq miles)
- Uzbekistan is bordered by Kazakhstan to the north; Kyrgyzstan to the northeast; Tajikistan to the southeast; Afghanistan to the south, Turkmenistan to the south-west.
- Uzbekistan boasts some of the Silk Road’s most fabled destinations
- Three of the greatest Silk Road cities – Samarkand, Bukhara, and Khiva – all fall within Uzbekistan.
- Forts, such as the one still standing at Khiva, were built to protect traders from bandits. This well-preserved city is known as the Museum under the Sky.
- Samarkand is a city known for its mosques and mausoleums.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Uzbekistan has 5 UNESCO sites
- Fergana Valley
- Ancient medressas (Islamic schools) of Bukhara, Samarkand and Khiva
- Driving » Right side
There are no toll roadsA toll road is being built parallel to the current Tashkent-Samarkand-Bukhara road (Aug 2021)
- Overlanders may cross one of many borders from a neighbouring countries.
- The capital, Tashkent, on the border with Kazakhstan, is the most common entry point.
- From Fergana Valley, to Kyrgyzstan, use the border between Andijan and Osh
- Petrol (Gasoline) is harder to find. Most vehicles run on diesel.
- There is a black market for petrol, but it is often of poor quality or watered down.
- Many potholes.
- No visa required for stays shorter than 30 days. (Source – 2019)
- Canadians must obtain a visa before arriving in Uzbekistan for stays longer than 30 days.
- Since Feb 2019, if you have a British citizen passport you can enter Uzbekistan as a visitor for stays of up to 30 days without a visa.
- People are warm and hospitable.
Safety and Security
- Uzbekistan is one of the worlds 10 safest countries for travellers.
- The Turtle Expedition – Uzbekistan
- Landcruising Adventure – Uzbekistan Overland Travel Guide
- A backpacker’s guide to One Month in Uzbekistan
- Caravanistan – Guide along the Silk Road
- Government portal