- Population » 5.5 million
- Language » Turkmen, Russian
- Religion » Islam
- Life expectancy » 64 years (men), 71 years (women)
- Currency » Turkmen manat
- Area » 488,100 sq km (188,456 sq miles)
- Located in Central Asia bordered by the Caspian Sea and largely covered by the Karakum Desert.
- Oil rich
- Pricy hotels – targeted towards business people
- Canadians require a visa to visit Turkmenistan.
- You will require a letter of invitation.
- Reportedly, they only give 3 or 5-day transit visas for $55, which must be applied for in advance.
- Will only issue visas for entry on specific dates
- Unless you’re on a transit visa, you need a guide outside the capital
- Ashgabat, the capital, was rebuilt in Soviet style in the mid-20th century and is filled with grand monuments honouring former president Saparmurat Niyazov.
- Known for archaeological ruins including those at Nisa and Merv
- Darvaza gas craters in the Karakom Desert
- Also called the Gateway to Hell (Google Maps)
- Ashgabat is a bizarre and quirky white marble capital city
- Drive » Right side
- Nations Online
- The Turtle Expedition – Turkmenistan
- Video: The Importance of Turkmenistan
Last Updated on April 3, 2019