Republic of Liberia
- Capital » Monrovia
- Population » 5.2 million (2021 est)
- Languages » English (Official), 29 African languages belonging to the Mande, Kwa or Mel linguistic groups
- Religions » Christianity, Islam, indigenous beliefs
- Life expectancy » 61 years (men), 63 years (women)
- Currency » Liberian dollar (LRD)
- Electricity » 120 volt / 55±5 hertz and 220 volt / 55±5 hertz (NEMA 1-15, NEMA 5-15, Europlug, Type E, Schuko)
- Area » 99,067 sq km (38,250 sq miles)
- Liberia is located in West Africa, north of the equator.
- It is bordered by Sierra Leone to its northwest, Guinea to its north, Ivory Coast to its east, and the Atlantic Ocean to its south and southwest.
- Mount Wuteve at 1,440 meters (4,724 feet) is the highest elevation in the country.
- Roberts International Airport is some 60 km from the city centre of Monrovia.
- A letter of invitation and a yellow fever vaccination certificate may be necessary to apply for a Liberian visa.
- Canadian » a Visa is Required
- Consider getting visa at Liberian Embassy in Conakry, Guinea
- Sapo National Park (Wikipedia)
- Liberia’s sole national park
- The park is near the town of Greenville.
- There is an eco lodge in the Park
- Driving on the Right
- The roads in the northern part of Liberia linking Roberts Airport to Monrovia and from Monrovia to the Sierra Leone border at Bo are paved.
- To the south of Monrovia, mostly difficult dirt/mud roads
- Difficult during rainy season
- Requires quality off-road tires in good repair for 4wd or motorcycle
- Requires 4wd with locking differential
- Requires to be a light as possible – very muddy and slippery
- During the rainy season, travel times are increased dramatically. Requires lots of patience.
- Vehicle can become stuck for weeks or months!
- The climate is tropical, hot and humid all year round
- March and April, temperatures slightly rise, and showers become more frequent.
- Temperature can exceed 40 °C (104 °F)
- Rainy season from May to October
- Real monsoon arrives in May, bringing torrential rainfall
- rainfall is very abundant, particularly along the coast
- Short dry season that runs from December to February
- In winter, from December to February, the rains are rare in the centre and north, and the sun frequently shines, although some showers are possible.
- Expect temperatures around 30/32 °C (86/90 °F) during the day
- Reference » Climates to Travel
- Liberia is one of the poorest countries in the world.
- No large cities south of Monrovia.
- Fuel availability and quality may be questionable outside of Monrovia
- Liberia has no property inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List
Safety and Security
- The situation in Liberia has improved significantly with the restoration of peace and order.
Health Advice for Liberia
Travel Advice for Liberia
This page was updated July 14, 2023