Flag of Sierra Leone
- Officially: Republic of Sierra Leone
- Capital: Freetown (~ 1 million)
- Population » 7.4 million
- Languages » English, Krio (Creole language derived from English), Temne, Mende and other West African languages
- Religions » Islam, Christianity
- Life expectancy » 51 years (men), 52 years (women)
- Currency »
- Area » 71,740 sq km (27,699 sq miles)
- Located in West Africa
- Bordered by the Atlantic Ocean on the southwest, Liberia to the southeast and Guinea to the northeast.
- The landscape offers a flat coastal belt, the eastern half is covered by hills and high mountains, part of the Guinea highlands.
- Mount Bintumani (1,948 m (6,391 ft)) within the Loma mountains in Koinadugu (Northern Province) is the highest peak in the country.
- Main rivers are the Tai river, the Sewa (Sew), and the Moa River.
- Sierra Leone is sometimes described as a diamond in the rough
- The country is rich in diamonds and other minerals
- These diamonds have been connected to illegal trade and the financing of terrorist organisations
- Sierra Leone gained independence in 1961, yet is the poorest nation in the Commonwealth.
- History tied to Nova Scotia.
- Sierra Leone has a tropical climate with two seasons
- The rainy season from May to November
- The dry season from December to May
Map of Sierra Leone (Source » ReliefWeb)
- Drive » Right side
- Other than the main roads, from Freetown to Makeni or to Bo, roads are in poor condition and rarely paved outside Freetown.
- Services outside Freetown are limited.
- Road conditions deteriorate significantly during the rainy season.
Safety & Security