- Population: 4.8 million
- Major languages: Spanish (official), English
- Major religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 77 years (men), 82 years (women)
- Currency: Costa Rican colon (CRC)
- Perhaps the most prosperous and politically stable country in Central America.
- One of the highest standards of living in the region
- Tourists find prices to be higher than North American prices, for similar quality and service.
- Tourism is the country’s number one source of income
- Costa Rica’s rich biodiversity makes it a popular destination for eco-tourists.
- The only Central American country without a permanent army.
- Area: 51,100 sq km (19,730 sq miles)
- Bordered by Nicaragua to the north and Panama to the south
- Known for its beaches, mountain ranges, and volcanoes
- Costa Rica prohibits the importation of Right Hand Drive (RHD) vehicles within it’s borders, even temporarily. If you arrive at a border crossing with a RHD vehicle, there is a strong possibility you will be refused entry.
This page was last updated on 2021.03.18 by Robert Vinet