- Officially: Portuguese Republic
- Capital: Lisbon
- Population: 10.3 million
- Language: Portuguese
- Religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 78 years (men), 85 years (women)
- Currency: Euro
- Area: 92,391 km2
- Portugal, shares borderland only with Spain, to the north and east.
- The westernmost European country
Madeira – an archipelago situated in the north Atlantic Ocean, southwest of Portugal. Its total population was estimated in 2011 at 267,785. The capital of Madeira is Funchal, which is located on the main island’s south coast.
- It is the oldest state on the Iberian Peninsula and one of the oldest in Europe.
- Portugal signed the Schengen agreement alongside with its only neighbor Spain, on 25 June 1991 and started its implementation on 26 March 1995.
- Known for football, beautiful beaches and historic sites
- Most visited Portuguese spots are the capital of Lisbon, the subtropical island of Madeira, the second largest city – Porto, the small fishing village of Ericeira, and Óbidos – which is known for its many medieval castles.
- Cabo da Roca is the westernmost point on mainland Europe
This page was last updated on 2021.03.18 by Robert Vinet