- Population » 17 million
- Language » Dutch
- Religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 80 years (men), 84 years (women)
- Currency » Euro
- The Netherlands is one of four countries making up the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The others are Aruba, Curaçao, and Sint Maarten, three West Indian island territories in the Caribbean (not normally accessible overland).
- The Netherlands is a founding member of the European Union, Eurozone, G10, NATO, OECD, and WTO.
- The Netherlands is one of the five founding states of the Schengen agreement, signed on 14 June 1985.
- The Port of Rotterdam is the largest port in Europe and world’s largest port outside Asia
- The world’s second biggest beer exporter, after Mexico
- Area » 41,864 sq km (16,164 sq miles)
- More than a quarter of its total area is under sea level
- 50% is less than one metre above sea level
- Netherlands consists of twelve provinces
- Netherlands is located in western Europe, bordered by the North Sea to west and north, Belgium to the south and Germany to the east.
- The Netherlands maintains maritime borders with France and the United Kingdom.
- Over tourism is a concern in Amsterdam (Pre-pandemic)
- Stereotypically known for the colourful tulips, numerous windmills and delicious cheese
- The Netherlands has given the world many of it’s most famous artists including:
- Van Gogh
- The Netherlands does not have motorway road tolls.
- Dutch Transport Authority
- #10 in Overall Rankings of world’s best countries (US News & World Report)
- #15 in Adventure (2021)
- #9 overall best country in 2020
- #11 overall best country in 2019
Safety and Security
- The National Coordinator for Security and Counterterrorism (NCTV) maintains a national terrorism threat level for the Netherlands.
Government Travel Advice for the Netherlands
Last Updated on September 10, 2018