Republic of Kosovo
- Capital » Pristina
- Population » 1.8 million — 2.4 million
- Major languages » Albanian, Serbian
- Regional languages » Bosnian; Turkish; Romani
- Major religions » Islam, Christianity
- Life expectancy » 68 years (men) 73 years (women)
- Dialling code » +383
- Currency » Euro
- Area » 10,887 sq km (4,212 sq miles)
- Bordered by Albania to the south and southwest, the North Macedonia to the southeast, Montenegro to the west, and Serbia to the north, northeast, and east.
- Drive on the right.
- Kosovo broke away from Serbia, declaring the country independence from Serbia in February 2008
- Recognized by over 100 member states of the United Nations.
- Serbia, backed by its ally Russia, does not recognize Kosovo as an independent state.
- In May 2022, Pristina submitted a bid to join the Council of Europe, shortly after Russia was expelled for invading Ukraine. (Euronews)
- Kosovo ranks third among the poorest countries in Europe (2022)
Security & Safety
As of December 2022, tensions between Kosovo and Serbia are high.
- Kosovo Prime Minister’s Office
- EU Rule of Law Mission in Kosovo (EULEX)
- UN Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK)
- NATO Mission in Kosovo (KFOR)
Government Travel Advice
This page was updated April 25, 2023