- Officially » Kingdom of Belgium
- Capital » Brussels
- Current Time and Date
- Current Weather
- Population » 11.5 million
- Major languages » Dutch, French, German
- Major religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 81 years (2020), 79 years (men), 84 years (women)
- Currency » euro
- Member of the European Union » since 1 January 1958
- Brussels is the de facto capital of the European Union (and also NATO Headquarters)
- Area » 30,528 sq km
- Located in Western Europe
- The country is bordered by France, the Netherlands, Germany and Luxembourg.
Belgium, a country in Western Europe, is known for medieval towns, Renaissance architecture and as headquarters of the European Union and NATO. The country has distinctive regions including Dutch-speaking Flanders to the north, French-speaking Wallonia to the south and a German-speaking community to the east. The bilingual capital, Brussels, has ornate guildhalls at Grand-Place and elegant art-nouveau buildings. (via Google)
- Member of the open border Schengen Area since 1985.
- Belgium is one of the first five countries to sign the Schengen agreement.
- Antwerp is one of the world’s top bicycle-friendly cities
- The city is improving and connect the cycling network through intersection improvements, traffic light management, and an aim to lower speed limits to 30 km/h (18.6 mph) on 95% of all city streets. (via Wired)
- Belgium’s best cycling routes include »
- Brussels Canal Route » will take you through Brussels, Gant, and Bruges
- County of Flanders Route
- Driving » Right side
Safety and Security
- Global Peace Index
- Belgium is one of the 12 founding member states of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) « so there’s that!
- NATO Headquarters is in Brussels « so there’s that too!
Travel Advice From Other Governments
This page was updated December 22, 2022