Flag of the Republic of Mozambique
- Officially » República de Moçambique (Portuguese)
- The Republic of Mozambique (English)
- Capital » Maputo
- Population: 29.5 million
- Languages: Portuguese (official), several indigenous languages, including Makhuwa
- Major religions: Christianity, indigenous beliefs, Islam
Life expectancy: 56 years (men), 60 years (women)
- Area: 812,379 sq km (313,661 sq miles)
- Located in Southeastern Africa bordered by the Indian Ocean to the east, Tanzania to the north, Malawi and Zambia to the northwest, Zimbabwe to the west, and Eswatini (Swaziland) and South Africa to the southwest.
- Tropical cyclone Idai made landfall near Beira on March 15, 2019.
- Beira is the fourth largest city in Mozambique.
- The cyclone brought torrential rainfall and violent winds. Electricity and communications infrastructure have been affected.
Safety and Security
- Exercise a high degree of caution in northern Mozambique (2021)
- It is now virtually impossible to access the north of the country, the site of an Islamist insurrection (Mar 2021, RSF)
- Humanitarian agencies report that some 500,000 people have had to flee their homes in the past year (BBC)
- (March 2021) 670,000 people are now displaced inside Mozambique due to the conflict in Cabo Delgado – almost seven times the number reported a year ago (Save the Children)
Government Travel Advice