- Officially: Islamic Republic of Mauritania
- Capital: Nouakchott
- 4.42 million (2017)
- Major languages: Arabic, Hassaniya
- Foreign languages: French
- Muslin country
- Currency: 1 Ouguiya (MRO) = 5 Khoums
- Electricity: 220 Volt / 50 Hertz AC
- Mauritania is a country in Northwest Africa.
- It is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the west, Western Sahara to the north and northwest, Algeria to the northeast, Mali to the east and southeast, and Senegal to the southwest.
Points of Interest
- Richat Structure
- Also called Guelb er Richât, the “Eye of Africa”, or “Eye of the Sahara” is a prominent circular feature in the Sahara’s Adrar Plateau, near Ouadane, west–central Mauritania.
- Banc d’Arguin National Park
- This World Heritage Site is a major breeding site for migratory birds, including flamingos, broad-billed sandpipers, pelicans and terns.
- There is a sort of 20 km wide no-man land area between Mauritania and Western Sahara where it is very dangerous – land mines – to venture off the travel portion of the road.
- Sahara Overland
This page was last updated on 2021.03.20 by Robert Vinet