Michaela Trimble, writing for National Geographic, has some adventurous suggestions for the region surrounding Salta:
- Overland to Tolar Grande and the Puna
- Nine hours south of Salta to Argentina’s high-altitude Puna
- Hike to Hidden Rock Art Galleries in Guachipas
- Two hours southwest of Salta
- Cycle the Wine Region of Cafayate
- Home to beautiful red-rock canyons
- Llama Trek in Purmamarca and Tilcara
- This area is a UNESCO World Heritage site
B’yauling Toni’s goal is to be the youngest person to cycle around the world.
Three friends set out for the far western corner of Mongolia to combine mountain biking and packrafting adventure. The goal was to traverse the Mongolian Altai over 12 days. The only inhabitants of the region are Kazakh nomads.
Mark Agnew, writing in the South China Morning Post:
[Leandro] Martins is trying to go one step further than Daniel Burton, who was the first person to cycle to the South Pole, by passing through the landmark and onto the coast on the other side by covering.
Jon Golden, as told to Nina Strochlic, National Geographic:
T MINUS SIX MONTHS
Gearing up: I’ll be photographing a team of extreme adventurers mountain biking across the frozen Arctic Ocean in Canada. I’ll be on a snowmobile, which is still hard work, so I need to get in good shape. A few months before, I start running and doing core workouts. In the Arctic you can’t sit down if you’re tired—you have to keep moving or get in your sleeping bag. I also put in a request to my sponsors for some gear: a down-filled sleeping mat and gloves I can shoot with.
T MINUS TWO WEEKS
Essential packing list: Our camp in Auyuittuq is 50 miles from civilization in any direction, so I take everything I need for the 2.5-day February trip.
– Emergency beacon
– A satellite phone (which will be on for only two hours a day, so I go over safety protocols with my family beforehand)
– Macadamia nuts (they have the highest fat content)
– A toothbrush with pre-applied toothpaste
– A dozen camera batteries. The cold zaps their power, so I keep them in my vest or sleeping bag.
– Two sets of long underwear