The Henley Passport Index measures how powerful these national identifications are based on how many countries citizens can access without a visa.
In its latest ranking, Japan takes the top spot with the country’s passport-holders being able to access 189 nations without a visa.
After five years sitting at the top, Germany is now tied in second place with Singapore for visa-free access to 188 countries.
- Japan (189 countries can be visited without a visa)
- Germany, Singapore (188)
- Finland, France, Italy, South Korea, Spain, Sweden (187)
- Austria, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, United Kingdom, United States (186)
- Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Ireland, Switzerland (185)
- Australia, Greece (183)
- Czech Republic, Malta, New Zealand (182)
- Iceland (181)
- Hungary, Malaysia, Slovenia (180)
- Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia (179)
The index is based on data collected through the International Air Transport Association.
Last Updated on May 27, 2018