- Capital: Honiara
- On the island and province of Guadalcanal
- Population: 600,000
- Major languages: English (official), Melanesian dialects
- Major religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 69 years (men), 72 years (women)
- Currency Solomon: Islands dollar
- Area 27,556 sq km (10,639 sq miles)
- A nation of hundreds of islands in the South Pacific, south-east of Papua New Guinea.
- The country is recovering from civil unrest between rival groups from 1998-2003 that brought it to the brink of collapse. An Australian-brokered peace deal was signed in October 2000. But lawlessness continued and an Australian-led multinational peacekeeping force arrived in July 2003, ending in 2017.
- Important WWII battles for control of the Pacific occurred here against the Japanese.
- Very little opportunity to overland in the islands.
This page was last updated on 2021.05.23 by Robert Vinet