- Capital » Raleigh
- Largest city » Charlotte
- It is bordered by Virginia to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the east, Georgia and South Carolina to the south, and Tennessee to the west.
- The western section of North Carolina is part of the Blue Ridge Mountains of the larger Appalachian Mountain range. Among the subranges of the Blue Ridge Mountains located in the state are the Great Smoky Mountains and the Black Mountains. The Black Mountains are the highest in the eastern US, and culminate in Mount Mitchell at 2,037 m (6,684 feet), the highest point east of the Mississippi River
- 14 National Park Service units including the Appalachian National Scenic Trail (Wikipedia), the Blue Ridge Parkway (Wikipedia), Cape Hatteras National Seashore (Wikipedia), Cape Lookout National Seashore (Wikipedia), Great Smoky Mountains National Park (Wikipedia), and Wright Brothers National Memorial (Wikipedia).
- Great Smoky Mountain National Park is most visited National Park in the USA.
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park is located in western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee, and covers 520,000 acres (800 square miles).
- Black bear country
- Asheville is within an hour and a half drive of five key entrances to Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Oconaluftee Visitor Center near Cherokee is the main western entrance to the National Park
- Some areas of the Park, including Cataloochee Valley, may require driving on dirt or gravel roads.
- Some remote back country areas that are only accessible by hiking trail
- POI »
- Deep Creek Waterfalls (Hike)
- Purchase Knob
- Cataloochee Valley
- Big Creek
- Clingman’s Dome
- Newfound Gap